Saturday, September 6, 2008

Big, Fat, Black Widow Spider.

Yea, Okay. So, we're outside cleaning up our farm. Cleaning out the grain shed. the lamb shed, the garage.  We wanted to get any wood planks stacked, old feeders organized.  ...just get ready for winter.  We save aluminum cans to recycle (Ryker's "get-rich-quick" plan!) We usually store the cans in old grain bags. So, we'd taken them out of the grain shed and piled them up behind our yard fence.  (It's a five foot high, cinder block wall) As Ryker sets one of the bags down, I hear him scream "Whoooa, Daaaaaadd"  Being a mother,  of course, I assume the worst and come running...

Black Widow

Ryker must've 'upset' her.  Because she came out MAD!!  Black Widows won't usually fight, they'll protect themselves, but they're not aggressive.  She was beyond aggressive, she was lookin' to kill.  We think she was making a nest to lay eggs or she was about to.  This picture isn't the best.  She doesn't look as big as she is, or "was!"  Her diameter was equal to a nickel.  She was one of the biggest Black Widow spiders I have ever seen.  She was big enough to give me an eerie feeling deep down in my bones.  I wish I were comfortable coexisting with all creatures.  But, I have to think of the lives of my children first.  I can't say I'd leave a rattle snake in my back yard either!!  So, Steve back-handed her with a shovel.

No comments: