Saturday, August 2, 2008

Meet the Author; Lisa. ...and our 3 dogs!

Lisa, Pecos, Jake and Okie.

I am a wife and a Mother. I love my babies both human and not! I enjoy photography, reading, writing, cooking. ...and cleaning (believe it or not!) I like farming, ranching and keeping half-dead animals alive! I have 3 'human' children; Eden, Ryker and Gideon. They, along with my husband; Steve, own my heart. I have 3 male dogs, Pecos (left) Jake (middle) and Okie (right) Pecos and Okie are purebred Australian Shepherds and Jake is ...well, he's Jake. (We have no idea!) I have raised 7 bummer lambs (bummer = orphan) 4 last summer (2 Ewes; Bunny and Lucky, 2 Rams; Buck and Kronk.) Kronk is a whether, that means he's castrated and he'll be dinner after we take him to slaughter. I raised 3 bummers this summer (2 Ewes; Rosemary and Restless, and 1 Ram; Cotton.) We'll Keep Cotton this year to breed Dotty and Minnie. (He won't be castrated and eaten!) My 2 Bummer-Ewes from last year; Bunny and Lucky both had ewe-lambs this year. ...So, I have 2 grand-lambs! Dotty and Minnie. This year I also took on a bummer calf; Dolly. And a rescue horse, we named her Twiggy! Twiggy is a 4 year old mare, half Quarter horse and half Arabian. She looks like a yearling mare. A friend of ours bought her at auction ...cheap. She had already miscarried due to starvation, the original owners kept her on pasture, but there wasn't feed in the pasture. I guess they couldn't afford to feed her. She was taken by an animal rescue and sold at auction. Our friend, Paul, had been feeding her twice a day. She'd been wormed, vaccinated, and given the West Nile immunization. However, he couldn't get her to gain weight. He asked if I knew what else he could try. Being a woman I know if you eat to much, you gain weight!! Seems simple to me, Right?? Steve and I agreed to board her here. Steve feeds her 2 flakes of hay in the morning (about 5 a.m.) Then I'll go out about 10 a.m give her 2 more flakes along with grain. Then at 4 p.m I'll go out and feed all of the animals. Steve gives her another 2 flakes at night after he finishes working the horses. In the last month and a half she's gained about 300 Lbs! She's not as heavy as she needs to be, but she is looking alot better. So, altogether we have 2 horses; Dancer and 'Ole Rusty. 1 rescue horse, 1 Mule (Steve is training.) 4 Sheep; 2 Ewes, 1 Ram, 1 Whether. 5 Lambs; 4 ewe-lambs and 1 ram-lamb. A Calf; Dolly, and a Goat; Daisy. Oh, Yeah, We just 'harvested' chicken too! So, we have chickens in the freezer! I love my life. It is definitely alot of work. Maybe more work than I knew I was getting into when I married my Husband. See, I'm a city girl. My only claim on the country is the cowboy that I married. But, I could never go back! The country and my farm owns me now.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: